Friday, April 9, 2010

Trixie Belden

Do you know Trixie Belden? It was my favorite book series when I was a young teen.

Trixie and her best friend, Honey, solved many a mystery with the help of their brothers, other family members and friends. I thought they were the coolest teenagers in the world and I wanted to be just like them.

Remember, I was 11-14 years old at the time!

I collected all the books in the series. I read them over and over again, so much that I wore them out.

As I aged, the books were moved here and there, packed away with other books. Unfortunately, they were also stored in less than desirable environments and were mostly ruined by those conditions. My original, worn and damaged books are now at my sister's home. She is building a library for her daughters, who are 7 and 4.

Trixie Belden books are out of print now and hard to find anywhere. I scored 10 of them in paperback at an estate sale recently. I was excited to add them to the library!

What books did you read and love when you were young?

5 comments:

  1. I loved the Big Red books on Irish Setters. I didn't own an Irish Setter but wanted one desperately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, oh Trixie Beldon was one of my fav's. My cousin introduced them to me when we would stay at our greatgrandmothers for a week in the summer. She would bring a suitcase full of books for us to read. Loved Nancy Drew too. When young I loved The Boxcar Children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite books when I was young were written by an author from my hometown of Chickasha, Okla., Bill Wallace. I think the girls would love these books: Snot Stew, A Dog Called Kitty, Hank the Cowdog and many, many more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was addicted to the Trixie Belden books. I saved my allowance every week to buy another one, and two shelves of my bookcase were dedicated to that series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know Trixie Belden, but I so remember the day I wandered over to the "adult" side of the library and opened a book and realized --- I could read those words! It surprised the heck out of me. I guess I thought it was forbidden because I wouldn't be able to read the words. It was on "that" side of the 'brary that I discovered Earl Stanley Gardner and read all of his books nonstop!

    ReplyDelete