Wednesday, June 9, 2010

425 Miles (plus or minus)

The Husband and I drove from Las Vegas, NM to Cheyenne, WY on I25 today. We were on the road 8+ hours, due to various spots of highway construction and terrible traffic in Denver. It tooks us an hour to get through the city. Even after leaving Denver proper, the traffic on I25 through Ft Collins was very heavy. It was a good driving day, even though we only had two brief stops.

The scenery was so different from our daily dose of Oklahoma, that I couldn't even read a book. I was too busy gazing at the mountains. Okay, I confess, I was also too busy getting my fill of the internet, since we had connectivity on our I-phones (unlike most of our time in New Mexico).

The only jarring note to the day was when we were in the hotel lobby in Cheyenne. There was a line at the desk and the clerk looked up at us and asked if we had a reservation. We said "no" and she advised they only had a couple of rooms left and what the rate would be. As she was making this statement, a man walked up behind us. She then asked for assistance at the front desk. When the second clerk came out, she said "Who's next?" Neither The Husband or I spoke up, but we were moving toward the clerk, when the man behind us said "I guess I am."

ARRRRRGGGHHHH...I hate it when people do that.

I hate that we didn't step up and say "No, we are."

I hate that the first clerk didn't say to the second clerk "These people are next."

I hate that the second clerk didn't realize the man BEHIND us could not be next.

He told the clerk he was by himself and needed a room with one bed for one night.

The two clerks had a problem with the system assigning the same room to the individual reservations they were working on. There were jokes back and forth between them, the ladies the first clerk was helping and the man that the room had double beds and they would have to share. He said he didn't want to share, but would if they would pay half.

The clerks finally got it straightened out, but by this time I was getting really irritated because they were all joking and the line was growing behind us. The man kept asking questions about "where are the luggage carts", "what is the closest restuarant", "oh, I don't know my license plate number, I'll have to go get it" which meant his transaction could not be closed out until he returned, which meant everyone in line had to wait on him.

Anyway, we finally got a room assigned to us and went to the car to retrieve our things. He was in the parking lot, unloading luggage onto the cart with a woman helping him.

Huh? He said he was alone. Did he think he'd get a better room rate by saying he was by himself?

I'll never understand why some people act they way they do.

Anyway, I'm glad to be in Wyoming. I've never been to this state, so I'm anxious to see what it is like. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Cindy, I hate those things too, and the only thing that would have been worse, is for you guys to make a scene about it. I am just like you and would let it slide. On the other hand, I have friends who would have hit the roof and caused a scene, in which I die. Sounds like your having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. The clerk should have declared who was next. But, speaking up and making a scene are not the same. There's nothing wrong with saying, "I believe we are next."

    ReplyDelete