Thursday, June 10, 2010

325 Miles (plus or minus)

Before we hit the road this morning, The Husband and I took a quick tour of Cheyenne, WY. What a neat town! We plan to return in the future and spend a couple of days exploring. In the mean time, a few of our highlights:

The State Capital
 The State Capital Sign
The art project in Cheyenne is eight foot tall cowboy boots. How fun!
This is a portrait of the fish that got away from The Husband in New Mexico
We saw the Wrangler store
They also had a very cool, automated sign

I should have taken a video of the sign movement, but I didn't think of it. Duh. Don't judge, I'm on vacation! Isn't it a neat sign? We both loved it.

We left Cheyenne and drove north on I25 towards Sheridan, WY.

Oh. My. Goodness!

As I tweeted during the drive, do you have any idea how big & empty & beautiful the Wyoming landscape is? It is magnificent!

We have lovely, big open spaces in Oklahoma. But they are much different than Wyoming. And smaller. 

The Husband and I lived in Calgary, Alberta, Canada from 1998 to 1999. Today's scenery reminded us of our weekend drives through the remote areas of the Alberta province. Endless open vistas, bounded on the west by imposing mountains. Lovely and restful.

We ended our drive by arriving in the cute town of Sheridan, WY. We checked into our hotel, got settled, and took a drive. Everyone we spoke to around town was friendly and helpful. Again, this is another place we would love to return to and explore further in the future.

We are looking forward to exploring The Little Big Horn Battlefield tomorrow even though the forecast is for rain and cool temperatures. Mid fifties for a high, anyone?

Have any of you been to The Little Big Horn Battlefield? If yes, what did you think?

3 comments:

  1. No, but one of our ancestors was a scout and found Custre post mortem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to Wyoming. Enjoy your trip.

    You know I love the boots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family goes back to Lusk, Wyo., every five years for Nana's high school reunion. I haven't been since I was really little. I'm so jealous of all the beautiful scenery you are getting to see!! I wish I was with you. You know I would need to stop a lot for pictures, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete