Monday, March 21, 2011

Ground Beef & Spinach

The Husband was away recently and I took the opportunity to make one of my Mom's old recipes. She either read it in a magazine or the local newspaper when I was a child. It was an early day "hamburger helper".

The ingredients are one pound of ground beef, one can of spinach, 1/2 of a yellow onion, one egg and salt/pepper.
Dice the onion and heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan to saute the onions. Once the onions are soft, add the ground beef and salt/pepper to taste.
Once the ground beef is browned, add the drained spinach to the pan. Stir into the ground beef and onion mixture. Remove excess liquid from the pan. Add the beaten egg to the mixture and mix thoroughly. Allow mixture to simmer until egg is cooked and there is practically no liquid remaining.
The finished product.
I continued the tradition of my Mom's menu and opened a can of corn to go with the main dish.
Oh so yummy and oh, the childhood memories!

Did your mom have something special she did to ground beef to dress it up? Or, is there anything different you use to spice up ground beef?

Update: I spoke to my mom and told her I made this dish and how good it was. She said she read the recipe in a magazine article about Shirley Temple all those years ago. This is a recipe Shirley made for her family. So there you have it..."the rest of the story".

No comments:

Post a Comment