Friday, September 17, 2010

Good Bye, Great Aunt Clorine

My mother, sister and I drove to Viney Grove/Prairie Grove, Arkansas this week to pay our final respects to Great Aunt Clorine, the wife of my father's uncle.
When I was 10-12 years old, Aunt Clorine bought a brand spanking new sewing machine. She thought of me just learning to sew and knew her old machine would be a good starter for me. I used that machine for probably 20 years, before it died.

She confided in me years later that she regretted giving me that machine, because she never did learn to like her new one!

Aunt Clorine was a sweet, pretty lady. She and Uncle Gene were married 67 years. Bless his heart, he is going to miss her so much.

We'll miss you, Aunt Clorine. Rest well.

P.S. Last year I wrote a short post about attending the funeral of my cousin's husband. I mentioned that he was a well known boys basketball coach. I saw their joint headstone this week, while attending Aunt Clorine's funeral. I didn't mention earlier that my cousin is also a well known girls basketball coach. This headstone perfectly reflects their love of the game and it made us all smile.

Yes, death is serious and sad, but the remembering doesn't have to be!

3 comments:

  1. My goodness... I see the name Kretschmar and it makes me wonder if Aunt Clorine was related to a gal I went to college with. Kristi Kretschmar was a sorority sister of mine at OU back in the early 90's.

    If so, what a small world!

    On another note entirely, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita: I've not heard of Kristi Kretschmar in our extended family. I will ask around, though.

    P.S. I love your blog also! :-)

    ReplyDelete