Sunday, September 26, 2010

Vivid Dreams

I'm a vivid dreamer. I always have been.

Some mornings, I recite elaborate, strange dreams to my husband before we ever get out of bed.

I can remember the most minute details, as long as I tell someone the dream as soon as I awake. If I don't, by afternoon the details have faded and all I can remember is if it was strange, exciting, scary, etc.

Friday night we stayed home. Late in the evening, we watched the first episode of The History Channel's Swamp People, followed by an episode of Animal Planet's Hillbilly Handfishin'.

Jealous, aren't you? Go ahead, admit it. I'll wait.

Over it now? Okay, let's proceed with my story.

We went to bed and I dreamed of a bizarre combination of those two shows, plus a healthy sprinkling of some of my favorite post-apocalyptic books such as The Stand, Lucifer's Hammer and The Road.

I dreamt of the world as we know it ending and the only people who survived were those who had skills like alligator hunting or fishing by hand.

I woke up several times during the night. And every time I fell asleep again, I fell back into the same dream.

"As God is my witness," I drank only ice tea Friday evening.

Seriously.

I either need to more carefully choose the shows I watch or have a cocktail or two before bedtime!

Questions:
Perhaps I should learn to noodle and hunt alligators? Would I then feel more prepared and not have dreams on this topic? Or, should I quit reading post-apocalyptic books? Or, quit watching those tv shows? Or, go for counseling? The possibilities are endless.

5 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated by dreams as well and own a couple of dream dictionaries, which of course, puts my analytical side in high gear. I would hesitate to use any of the traditional dream symbols for your dreams last night, as your books and tv shows really do seem to be significant in those. However, end of the world dreams are thought to be very powerful, indicating major life transitions, etc. I sense your learning to noodle is going to be a major change in your life:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny. I have to really be careful what I watch before bed or they intrude and become my dreams. Sometimes not so good as I think Swamp People could be! Posted about that this week. Gave me the creeps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the things you said about dreams, I have experienced too. Teeth cracking like eggshells and falling out? Falling? The Apocalypse? Naked in public? Even night terrors, though thankfully, not very often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny, we watched both shows. Love it, so much funny. My husband noodles, one day I will try. Love love swamp people, but I love the cajun accents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have vivid /weird dreams a lot too -and also find that if I don't retell them soon after I wake up -they fade pretty quickly. One time I had a post apocalyptic dream where there was a company who monopilzed everything -Called One World Incorp. or something -My family and I were resisting but, they kept leaving messages that our power would be turned off if we didn't join them - I don't know what all influenced that dream?!

    ReplyDelete