Friday, June 12, 2009

Six Word Memoirs

I read an article in the recent AARP magazine titled "Six-Word Memoirs, Really Short Stories

You have probably already heard of these stories, but I had not. It was fascinating.

The original objective was to tell the story of your life in six words and tens of thousands of people responded. A book was published, Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous & Obscure (Harper, 2008).

There is also a website: Six Word Memoirs

Of course, I had to give it a try for myself.

My life:
Mistakes Made. Lessons Learned. Happy Now.
Happier Than I Have Ever Been.
Loves Husband. Loves Family. Loves Self.

What I am:
Good Wife, Daughter, Sister, Aunt, Friend.
Creature of Habit. Obsessive Compulsive. Organizer.
Avid Reader. Hard Worker. Low Maintenance.

I had such fun doing this little exercise in self-examination. I even got out of bed that night to scribble more thoughts.

I challenge you to give it a try and let me know your results!

3 comments:

  1. Me:
    Homesick. Lonely. Needy. Tired of waiting.
    Daughter. Sister. Granddaughter. Niece. Aunt. Wife.
    Writer. Editor. Photographer. Singer. Artist. Cook.
    Massive potential trapped in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to get out of that basement!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it... as I said it is a fascinating idea and I think it would be an excellent self-help in learning more about ourselves, yet getting only to the necessary and important stuff. Great post!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete