Saturday, June 20, 2009

Heating Up...

As I've mentioned here, I've been traveling to Houston since April to assist with a big project for a global company. We are implementing a new system that is replacing existing systems and websites.

We are now officially a week away from the "go live" of the new system. There are tasks still to accomplish, decisions still to be made/agreed and action plans to be implemented. All of these activities are typical at this point in a large project.

A number of people have worked on this project 1-3 years. A good many of these folks have worked on this project for many months, and then there are newcomers like me who have arrived at, what seems to be, the last minute.

Personally, I had been tasked with keeping one of the old systems operational until it's replacement date. Since April, I've been juggling my old job, along with trying to understand the new system and the specific task I was asked to help with.

As you can imagine, people are tired and stressed. They are working 12, 14, 16+ hour days; and have been for an extended time. Some folks live in Houston, but many of us are traveling from far flung US locations every week.

Everyone's families are impacted. Personal milestones like children's school events/graduations, family birthdays, anniversaries, vacations, deaths, purchases of new homes, etc. have all, in MANY cases, taken second place. Let's not even discuss the impact to friendships.

We turn on the new system June 25th. I'll keep you posted on how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment