Sunday, May 22, 2011

Louisa May Alcott Elementary School - Tulsa, OK

If you live in the greater Tulsa area, you know that Tulsa Public Schools is in the process of closing 14 schools due to reduced enrollment. In the 1960's, enrollment was 80,000+. Today, enrollment is 41,000+.

The 14 schools hosted open houses yesterday to allow alumni and neighbors to visit the facilities one last time. The Husband and I visited Alcott Elementary, which is located at 525 E. 46th Street North.
The Husband started Kindergarten at Alcott in 1955 and attended through 3rd grade, when he then transfered to Kiefer. I started Kindergarten at Alcott in 1964 and attended through the 6th grade.

As we walked the halls of the school, we laughed about our elementary school antics and reminisced about teachers we had in common. I pointed out to The Husband where every one of my classrooms was located. We stood in the gym and marveled that it felt just as big as it did when we were kids.
The library has moved to what used to be the art room. The current librarian used her own money to have Louisa May Alcott's portrait painted on the door. She is working to ensure the door is relocated to another school. Here we are in front of it:
Not the best picture of me, but what the heck. Isn't The Husband cute?

We were both happy we attended the open house and were able to relive some childhood memories. When is the last time you visited the elementary school you attended? Was it long ago, or do your family members attend it today?

3 comments:

  1. The Hubby went to his junior high Saturday to say goodbye, Wilson Junior High. My grade school is still around but they changed the name about 20 years ago. Drive by but haven't been inside since I was probably 11 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this when I Googleing Alcott 1955 Tulsa. I was doing so because I started Kindergarten there in 1955. In 1959 I moved to Houston Tx.
    Michael Rappe
    mrappe@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. I was speaking with a co-worker from Tulsa and we began talking about Alcott. My siblings and I walked those halls spanning the late 60's-mid-80's. I was the last to leave; a couple of years after elementary began stopping at 5th grade. It saddens me that this school is closed. I have so many great memories here.

    ReplyDelete