Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Book Club

Have I told you I've recently joined a book club? 

I have long desired to join a club, but given my previous corporate career I never committed to one. I was concerned my sporadic travel schedule would mean I would miss more meetings than I could attend.

A month ago I was invited to visit a club that has been together for eight years. Members have come and gone, but there is a core of original members still in attendence. 

These women are funny, intelligent and active in our community. They have made me feel very welcome.

The club alternates meeting at member's homes. Everyone brings what they would like to drink, a tasty dish to share and suggestions for the next book.

Apricots Topped with Blue Cheese, Pistachios and Honey was my contribution to the evening repast. These were very tasty. They passed The Husband's taste test and the ladies also liked them.

The book for discussion was The Help by Kathryn Stockett. If you have not read it, I highly recommend it. The club's conversation about the book was good, but what was better was the conversation about whether we personally are racist and the state of race relations in our city.

The club is taking the summer off and will reconvene in September. A few books on our reading list during the break are:

Olive Kitteridge

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Have you read any of these books? If yes, would you recommend them?

I have been searching out avenues to meet new people and this book club is a perfect fit. How about you? Are you a member of a book club? How do you meet new people?

4 comments:

  1. Read Edgar Sawtelle and it was good. I used to be in a book club but it only lasted a couple of years and then imploded. We actually didn't discuss the books too much, about 30 minutes and then it was talk, eat and wine. Fun. Haven't been another one since. Ended up with some good friends though. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that Edgar Sawtelle was modern day version of To Kill A Mockingbird, but I don't know if that's true. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is supposed to be wonderful. I used to go often to Border's (21st) and browse. I read (but not finished) so many books that I did not like, I finally stopped reading fiction for the most part. I'm currently reading Voltaire's Candide. So, there goes my not reading fiction anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I loved The Help! My son adored Dragon Tattoo and all of my family has raved over Olive. Sounds like a good lineup to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading the Dragon Tattoo now -- just started it, but have been told I won't be able to put it down. I read Olive Kitteridge a while back. It's a different kind of book -- a series of short stories with Olive appearing in each story, sometimes as a main character, sometimes merely a reference. My favorite all time book is Bel Canto by Ann Patchett.

    ReplyDelete