Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments - #1

Monday I made the first batch of salt dough ornaments for painting at our annual Christmas party.

Three cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1 1/2 cups water.
Knead, knead, knead. Roll, roll, roll with The Husband's grandmother's rolling pin. The left handle kept falling off...arrrrgh!
Cut out Christmas shapes.
Place on cookie sheet and use skewer to make a hole in the top of the ornament to allow hanging by hook or ribbon.Bake at 350 for 20 minutes if you want PUFFY ornaments, which I did not.

Doesn't that one Santa shape look like "Saturday Night Live?"

Tomorrow is "do over" day. I'll bake at 200 for 1 hour (or 1 1/2 hours) and hopefully end up with flat ornaments.

Sigh...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. I might try that with the grandkids for a Thanksgiving project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the same recipe that you can pour cinnamon in for fragrant ornaments?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, yes you can put cinnamon in this recipe. I didn't do that with today's batch. I'll have to try it with tomorrow's batch!

    ReplyDelete