Friday, November 20, 2009

Recipes

How do you organize the recipes you gather from various sources, such as the newspaper, mailings, magazines, friends, etc?

I accumulate a small stack of them on top of my cookbooks, then take a few minutes to place the recipes in clear page protectors and insert them in a 3 ring binder.

Obviously my stack of recipes (below) is a bit out of hand. Give me a day or two and I will correct this situation! Promise.
Here's my recipe binder. Yes, it is a 4" binder. And yes, I've made tabs to sort the recipes by category.
I started down this recipe road because I told my sister I would do the first pass of planning for Thanksgiving.

Which made me think of a question for you. How do you keep your holiday recipes organized?

I "borrowed" the idea of separate holiday binders for Thanksgiving and Christmas from my sister a few years ago.

Any recipe we make for either of these holidays is automatically added to our binders, so we can duplicate previous holiday meals if we wish.
And how, you may ask, do we know what we served from year to year?

We know because I make our own version of a chalkboard for the holidays! I put our menu in a picture frame and it is placed on the buffet to let everyone know what is being served.

I started creating menus and place cards when my sister and her husband were dating and came to our house for dinners. She and I thought it was fun. He thought we were a bit crazy at first, but now he's the first one to mention these little details if they are missing for some reason.The young nieces love all the extra things we do for our "dinner parties" and our binders will be a great resource for them in planning their family holidays when they are adults!

I'll share the easy way I create my holiday grocery shopping list in a couple of days. It works great and saves me lots of time and aggravation!

1 comment: