Monday, May 4, 2009

Inheritance

My mother has recently been going through a lifetime's accumulation of stuff, one drawer at a time. Some of these things were given into her custody upon the death of her mother-in-law, my Granny. We are unsure whether these pieces of embroidery were done by Granny, or her mother, my Great-Granny. The top piece still has the pins in it where she planned to hem it.
This apron was made by Granny.  She made most of her clothes and a lot of her granddaughters clothes.  We still have several dresses that she made for me and my sister. One of the great things about Granny's sewing was you could turn a garment inside out and it was still a thing of beauty.  Her finished seams were a sight to behold. I think that's why my Mom never took up sewing!
This piece of fabric has been folded away about 40 years, waiting to be made into something useful (Granny died in 1976 and gave up sewing in '70 or '71). Once I figure out what that is, I'll let you know.
A family picture of Great Granny and us.  My older brother "R", my little sister "A" and me holding a toy sewing machine, a birthday present.  
My Granny.  I need to find a better picture of her, but this will do for now.
I'm glad my Mom is clearing out drawers, closets, etc. Especially after recently watching the HBO movie Grey Gardens. Not that my Mom is anything like the Beales, but after watching that movie you just want to CLEAN your house and get rid of stuff!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I have a lot of linens like those you pictured. I don't use them much but they are precious. Also, thanks for stopping by my blog and for the award! I look forward to getting to know you. I'm enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy... wanted to pop over and thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blog world and I noticed you live in Tulsa... Hey okie from another Okie south of Norman.

    Your Granny sounds like my mom in the seamstress and sewing department. Mom did beautiful work, too, and she sewed for all six of us kids. I never picked it up. I can sew if I have to, from taking homemaking in school. We were required to take one semester in cooking and one semester in sewing, and all I wanted to do was take wood working, but back in the day that wasn't allowed. That was for the boys...

    Thanks for sharing those finds with us.

    Helen G.

    ReplyDelete