Monday, May 25, 2009

Cemetery Duty

The Husband and I decorated graves yesterday at the South Heights cemetery in Sapulpa. His grandparents, great-grandparents and aunt. We also confirmed the spot where his sister will rest beginning May 27th. 

You know how unsettling the time between the death of a loved one and the finality of the funeral services can be. On one hand, Wednesday can't be over soon enough. On the other hand, we wish we could roll back time and undo the events that have led us to this place.

It was comforting yesterday, however, to see the living tending the dead. The cemetery looked pretty with the brightly colored flowers, balloons, and other decorations. This activity, to me, is an affirmation that we do not forget our people.

I was happy my sister and her family visited our father yesterday. I don't know when I'll get there to see him, but he knows he's not forgotten. Neither are our grandparents in Arkansas. We depend on our cousins to tend to them and they do so faithfully.

I hope all of you find comfort in remembering and tending to those members of your families who are no longer with you.

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, so sorry about your sister in law. You are such a thoughtful, loving and kind person. I wish you and yours comfort this week.

    ReplyDelete