Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Quiet Afternoon. Or Is It?

I've done a number of chores around the house today and had the tv on for noise.

I just turned off the tv and sat down, thinking I'll close my eyes for a minute and enjoy the quiet.

Hey, Internet. It's not quiet.

I opened windows and doors this morning to air out the house and now I hear everything that is happening both in the house and in the neighborhood:
  • The wind sighing through the trees
  • Leaves skittering across the driveway
  • The house creaking
  • The neighbor's wind chimes tinkling
  • The water filling the refrigerator's ice maker
  • The timer on the china cabinet lights ticking
  • A plane overhead
  • A distant train whistle
  • The dryer buzzer
  • A car
  • A motorcycle
  • Birds chirping
  • Dogs barking
  • A fire engine siren
I love having the windows open in the spring when household noise and outside noise combine.

What do you hear when you open your windows?

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday and today? Rain. Rain rain rain rain rain. Pffft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cindy, I love to listen to "nothing".

    ReplyDelete