Saturday, March 27, 2010

Historic Paint Colors

The Husband and I took a drive to Guthrie, OK Saturday.

We took an indirect route through the Oklahoma countryside and stopped at a few antique malls along the way. When we arrived in Guthrie, we shopped at 3 or 4 more antique stores. I found some holiday themed cookie cutters, that I will use for decorations. I also found two very cheap Longaberger baskets, with which I was quite happy!

Believe it or not, our purpose in visiting Guthrie was not to shop at antique malls. It was to veiw exterior paint colors used on many of the historic houses in town. Since we live in an historic district in Tulsa and our 95 year old house is in need of painting, we thought we could borrow (steal) ideas. We saw a number of nicely done homes and are now more confused about colors. We'll keep researching and hope to have a color selected soon.

I hope you had a wonderful Saturday, just like we did!

5 comments:

  1. Don't tease us with color talk and then avoid showing us at least one house that you liked...Now I will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love antiquing. So much fun. I'm with your first commenter...pictures please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherwin Williams has a pretty good series of historic palettes, categorized by type of architecture, and so on. You might get some ideas there. Not as much fun as driving to Guthrie but might let you cross off what you know you don't want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to paint the interior of house. I'm confused about paint colors. I'm want to go rustic-farm style. Is that a style?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not, I did not take one picture during this field trip. I had my little camera, but it was cold and rainy and I just didn't make the effort. I know. Shame on me.

    And, Connie, we have been playing on the Sherwin Williams website with an uploaded photo of our house. It's neat how you can "paint" their colors on your house to get an idea of what it will look like.

    Territory Mom: Never heard of rustic-farm style. But you go ahead with it and we'll spread the word!

    ReplyDelete