Monday, March 29, 2010

Are You Planning A Party? Let Me Help!

I have become obsessed with vintage cookbooks, entertaining books and etiquette books. Below are just three of my collection.

The Glamour Magazine Party Book was published in 1965. The Year-Round Holiday Cookbook was published in 1969. And the 1,001 Ideas for Parties, Fairs and Suppers was published in 1964.

There's a hand written note, penciled on the cover of the Glamour Magazine book that says, "Great book to have around."
So, if you're planning a party and want a mid to late 60's theme, just let me know!

The Year-Round Holiday Cookbook has a number of recipes to use your left over hard boiled Easter eggs. The following recipe (page 70) caught my eye:

Eggs in Sausage Shells are a delicious luncheon dish served on a bed of rice with a tomato or mushroom sauce. Two egg halves is the usual serving.

6 hard cooked eggs, shelled and rolled in flour
1 1/2 pounds sausage meat
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Bread crumbs
Fat for deep frying

Coat the floured eggs evenly with the sausage meat, completely encasing the egg. Dip them into the beaten egg, roll in bread crumbs and fry in deep fat heated to 350 degrees until they are richly browned. Cut the eggs in half before serving.

These are also known as Scotch Eggs and were created in London in 1738. A few years ago, I had Scotch Eggs at an Irish Pub and thought they were interesting. I may try them at home again.

How about you? Have you ever had a Scotch Egg?

4 comments:

  1. My husband adores Scotch Eggs. Me? Not so much.

    I have a vintage housekeeping book, published around 1902. My favorite part is the "Nursing an Invalid" chapter, where it advises feeding an ill person chopped raw hamburger. Ew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn,

    Ew is right! Raw hamburger at anytime is yuck, much less when you are sick.

    Aren't old books fun? I just love the vintage advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. Don't think I've ever had Scotch Eggs before. I love old cookbooks too and have way, way too many, mostly family ones. Some of the best recipes are found in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of scotch eggs but never knew what they were. Sounds very difficult and messy. Which means if my husband sees this recipe he will me attempting it and I will be the clean up crew.

    ReplyDelete