Monday, February 27, 2012

Modern Arithmetic Through Discovery


© 1963

The Husband and I went to an estate sale in a small town southwest of Tulsa this afternoon. I purchased three vintage schoolbooks, one of which is Modern Arithmetic Through Discovery. I vividly remember this textbook from from my elementary school days. 

As I was scanning through the book this evening, I said to The Husband "I'm not sure I can work these problems."

His response? "Give me one of the problems!"

I found a problem and let him read it. 

"Oh, this is the beginning of new math!" Yeah? And what does that mean, dear?

It means, you have to work through each section of the book from the beginning so you know how to solve the problems!

I wonder if you taught children from vintage textbooks like these, if they could pass current competency tests in math, english, science, etc?

Would you recognize your elementary school textbooks if you saw them today?
   

3 comments:

  1. Only if they had Dick and Jane. New math sure didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "discovered" that I didn't like math in third grade. It was while using this red book. And now I'd actually like to get a copy of this text. Nostalgia rules!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "discovered" that I didn't like math in third grade. It was while using this red book. And now I'd actually like to get a copy of this text. Nostalgia rules!

    ReplyDelete