Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Garage Sale

The Sister had a garage sale last Saturday. She advertised in the newspaper, "Sale, 8am-1pm, yada yada yada."

I took a few things over to sell. I arrived at the house at 7:10am with:
  1. breakfast from McDonald's
  2. the last of my items for sale
There was a woman already parked in front of the driveway. When I raised the garage door, she got out of her car to come in. The Sister said, "We're not open yet" and the woman reluctantly went away.

The Sister, Brother-in-Law and I were eating breakfast at 7:30am, when the door bell rang. She and I laughed and told him to go to the door.

He did and was greeted by a guy who asked, "You having a garage sale?"

"Yeah, at 8:00 am!" Slam the door...

When we finally opened, there were a number of people who rapidly exited their vehicles.

After shopping the entire sale, one man apologized to the B-i-L for the guy that rang the doorbell early: "Let me apologize for all of us who don't act like that."

What a nice thing to do!

The Sister and B-i-L did really well selling their stuff.

I did "so so." But that was okay. I got rid of some stuff that had not sold in my booth.

Plus, The Sister and B-i-L let me be in charge of the money. And, if you know me, you know how much I like to be in charge!

So, do you have garage sales to get rid of your surplus things?

Do you shop garage sales?

2 comments:

  1. All the dealers at the flea market shop garage sales. I have seen fabulous things in their booths. When I go, it is junk. Go figure. I joined my daughter for a neighborhood sale last fall and we were the only ones doing it. I can't complain as I sold quite a bit, but the stuff that was good that didn't sell, I packed back up. Wasn't going to give it away. I was shocked that even at my low prices, the customers wanted the items for a dollar or two. Moral - only sell the junk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We quit having garage sales years ago for just that reason. It's kind of a bit creepy that they lie in wait! Glad it went well. Maybe, someday I'll do it again...

    ReplyDelete