Sunday, April 17, 2011

Grocery Store China

We had friends over for dinner Saturday night. The table was bright and cheerful for Easter.
Sometimes a simple centerpiece is the best.
I used my paternal Grandmother's china, which she purchased years and years ago at her local grocery store.
My mother recently gave me Granny's silverplate service for six. I used it and added the salad fork from my sterling.
We served a cheese plate at this table. We had a Hooks cheddar cheese (aged 10 years) and Lambchopper from Cypress Grove Chevre. Thanks to LaDonna at LaDonna's Fancy Foods for her recommendation of these fantastic cheeses. We served them with sea salt crackers, sliced apples, grapes, peanuts and cashews. Yummy.
When we entertain, The Husband and I prep the food as much as possible before our guests arrive. Here he is after putting the final touches on the wedge salads, served with creamy blue cheese dressing, crumbled blue cheese, homemade bacon bits and cherry tomatoes.
The remainder of the menu was leg of lamb, roasted potatoes, plus fresh asparagus and Farrell Family bread purchased at the Cherry Street Farmer's market. We finished with lovely little petit fours from Merritt's Bakery. Everything was most delicious.

Here is a photo of my granny. Her name was Jewel. She was a good cook and loved to eat!
I know she would be pleased that we still use her dishes.

Resources:
Tablecloth: Sewn by little old me
Napkins: Embroidered by my sister-in-law, when she was in high school
Dishes: Grocery store china, Nancy.
Silverware: Unidentifed silverplate, plus "American Classic" sterling
Amethest glasses: Garage sale
Wine glasses: Riedel
Glass compotes: Estate sales, gifts
Candle sticks: Gift
Eggs: Easter Bunny

2 comments:

  1. your meal sounds fantastic! How special that you used your grandmother's dishes...love the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its Queen Bess Silverplate Dinner Ware made by Oneida.. i have the same set...

    ReplyDelete