After a lot of experimentation, the following is what we consider the perfect combination of ingredients and baking instructions.
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water
- Combine flour and salt, mix in 1/2 cup water and begin to knead the dough
- Add remaining water and continue kneading until dough can be rolled out easily
- Cut out shapes with cookie cutters
- Use ice pick to make a hole at the top of each shape for an ornament hanger
- Place shapes on cookie trays and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 200 degrees
- Turn shapes over and bake for an additional 1 1/2 hours at 200 degrees
The resulting ornaments do not puff up during the baking process and are consistently crisp.
Have fun making and decorating your ornaments!