Saturday, November 20, 2010

Airport Security

There's a lot of discussion occuring now on airport security. Specifically, the enhanced body scanners and new physical pat down procedures (if you refuse to go through the body scanner.)

In early 2009, the Tulsa airport was one of the first 10 airports in the nation to receive the new body scanners. I have been through the scanners numerous times. I don't have a problem knowing that a TSA (in a remote location from the scanners) is reading the scan; because 1) faces are blurred and 2) the image cannot be saved to a hard drive for later viewing.

One time, shortly after the machines were installed, I was subjected to a physical pat down after the scan.

Why, you ask? Because of the underwire in my bra. Yes, it's true.

The TSA who frisked me was a woman who was very professional and asked me if I wanted a private screening and also told me exactly where and how she was going to touch me. Subsequent trips through the scanners did not trigger a pat down, so I assume they learned to recognize the underwire in bras!

I do not dispute that all of the enhanced security measures are an added pain when traveling. I confess, I've been known to moan and groan about them. But I will tell you, I'm ultimately happy to abide by the rules if it makes flying safer. I do not ever want to see on television what we saw the morning of September 11, 2001. And I certainly don't want to be a passenger on a plane that is used for a terrorist attack.

For all those people who are screaming about an intrusive government infringing on personal rights, might I suggest you get in your car and drive to your destination? Thanks. With you out of the way, the security line will move much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment