Sunday, April 19, 2009

Our Little Vegetable Garden

The Husband and I planted a few things on Saturday. Four heirloom tomato plants, one cucumber plant and some herbs. The tomatoes are "Cherokee Purple" and "Carbon" and the cucumber is the "Sweet Slice" variety. 

A couple of plants came from The Tomato Man's Daughter , a couple more came from Grumpy's Garden, and the cucumber and herbs came from Colebrook Nursery.

We have grown "Cherokee Purple" tomatoes before and they are fantastic. The "Carbon" gets a good review from The Tomato Man's Daughter, so it will interesting to compare the two varieties.  
The herbs we opted to plant in pots. Basil, dill, parsley and rosemary.  

At the nursery we also picked up some new tomato cages.  We've had problems with the wimpy cages we've purchased previously being overwhelmed by the plants late in the season.  We are hoping that these Texas Tomato Cages will stand up under the pressure!

2 comments:

  1. Cindy, thank you for your kind comments and I am so happy you enjoy the blog. You know I am a crazy gardener (I've been doing it for about 25 years and you must be an opptimist to be a gardener). I am glad to see you are a gardener too. If you type in gardening on my blog it should take you to the parts that include gardening. Also, crafts. I also have a canning 101 blog with recipes. Pickles are one of them. Feel free to share or ask questions if you need. And by the way, thank you for following my blog; you will be in the running for the giveaway coming this Friday night. Look back at the post that shows the gifts I'll be giving away and the instructions. I will repeat the instructions again before Friday. Hope you win and looking forward to getting to know you. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning to plant my little garden this week. Yummm. I can't wait to start reaping the benefits.

    ReplyDelete