Sunday, April 5, 2009

Air Travel

My first day last week of resuming corporate road warrior status did not have a good start.  I'm the type traveler who allows plenty of time to get to the airport, through security and to the gate.  Last Monday I was directed to the "expert traveler" line and the TSA checking ids was, without a doubt, the slowest I have ever encountered.  I counted 11 people in the line next to me who were passed through the checkpoint by another TSA before the woman ahead of me and her two children were cleared and I moved to the front of the line.  Why were they in the "expert traveler" line you ask?  I don't know.

At the front of the line, my documents are scrutinized thoroughly and I'm directed to the line that is using the new whole body imager.  This piece of equipment seriously slows down the process.  You step into the scanner, hold your arms above your head, the machine scans you and you step out.  Once you are out, you are held in line by a TSA who is waiting for someone to communicate with them via an earpiece that your scan is clear. If it is not clear, they frisk you.  I got a frisking that day, yes I did.  I'm still not sure why, since I was not wearing a bra with an under wire!!!

Finally, I proceed to my gate with plenty of time before departure.  Well, lo and behold, I see a "delayed" sign posted next to the sign for my flight.  Delayed 2.5 hours worth.  We have a plane, but no flight crew.  I arrive at the office in Houston in the middle of the afternoon.  I certainly did not accomplish much on this day.  

My return flight last week also had it's challenges.  Early morning storms across the Southeastern US caused delays in the flights across the country.  Even though my flight was at 5:30 in the evening, airlines and airports were still playing catch-up. (Not to be confused with ketchup!)  Anyway, I was about an hour and 15 minutes late arriving home.

In the big scheme of things, these delays do not amount to much individually.  But for folks who are road warriors and travel every week, they are very frustrating and cut into the precious time we have at home.

I'm going to have to work on my zen attitude over the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment