Since Oklahoma has had two earthquakes this weekend, I'm going to do the necessary research and put together a serious emergency kit for my family. I will begin by researching pre-existing checklists developed by government agencies, as well as others, and which cover:
- natural disasters (tornado, earthquake, hurricane, fire, flood, ice/snow, drought, extreme heat etc.)
- pandemics (swine flu, ebola, etc.)
- hazardous material spills (both at home and in public), nuclear power plant melt downs, power grid black outs, natural gas explosions, etc.
- terrorist attacks (biological, chemical, nuclear, radiological dispersion device, etc.)
- invasion of the US homeland by a hostile foreign nation(s)
- zombie attacks
- mutant animal attacks
- extraterrestrial attacks
Wow. Did I miss anything? Might as well add:
- maurading bands of criminals who will rise when the social order breaks down due to any of the above situations
My first calculation will be how many cases of Scotch and Vodka will be required to survive each situation.
I'll let you know how our kit comes together.
Seriously, do you have an emergency kit and a plan? Don't you think you should?