Sunday, August 22, 2010

Public Service Announcement

I told you earlier this week that I was busy sorting and cleaning my button collection because I have an idea for a project that will utilize some of them.

You know how a stash of buttons is created, don't you? You keep those little plastic bags of extra buttons attached to new clothing. Or, before you throw away an old piece of clothing, you remove all the buttons and put them in a jar/box/basket. Or, if you are like me, you add to your button stash by collecting button stashes from your mother-in-law, grandmother, mother and complete strangers.

As I sat at the table cutting off old thread and bits of cloth, I decided it was my responsibility to tell you that you should do this work when you cut the buttons off the clothing.

Don't say to yourself "I'll just snip these off the blouse/dress/sweater now and will go back and tidy them up later. They'll be fine in this jar/box/basket until I get back to them." Just DON'T. Because you'll never go back to them.

When your family has the garage/yard/estate because you are "downsizing," "moving," or are "no longer with us," someone will buy them and the purchaser will have to spend hours cleaning up YOUR button collection. So, be a good person. Please clean up your buttons as you collect them.

Of course, you could find yourself in a situation where you need your buttons in a hurry because of some huge disaster. A disaster that also ruined your clothes. You could have time to sew on a button, but not to clean and sew on a button. Get what I'm saying?

Don't think it can't happen. Look at Jericho, or the Terminator series, or Lucifer's Hammer or The Stand.

What if, when the disaster happened, all the button factories were destroyed? No more new buttons. Your old buttons would be really important then, wouldn't they? Maybe you could barter them for other things you need. Maybe you could corner the market on buttons in the new world. Collect buttons now, while you can, because the last thing you want to have to do after a disaster is root around in trash cans or at the dump looking for buttons.

* One last thought: If you are donating clothing do not cut buttons off. Because that would be mean. Even if the buttons are really pretty. Or old. Or valuable.

This has been a Public Service Announcement based entirely on my weird thoughts during my button cleaning exercise.

Back now to regularly scheduled programming on this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Good advice, although I have to admit I never thought of cutting off buttons before I threw something away. Now that I think about it though, I guess I don't "throw" things away, I give them away, and of course, like you said, cutting off the buttons would be mean. Still, the clean as you go is good advice--for lots of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I have about 3 gallons of buttons I'll sell you.

    ReplyDelete