Sunday, August 30, 2009

Who Will Clean Out Your Purse?

My sweet Mother-in-Law, Lucye, died August 3, 2008.

I cleaned out her purse Saturday, August 29, 2009 - after it sat on a chair in our dining room since the end of May, 2009.

We retrieved the purse from one of Lucye's grand-daughters after the death of Lucye's daughter (my sister-in-law, Patti) in May, 2009.

The first time MY sister and her family came to our house for dinner after we retrieved Lucye's purse, my sister walked into the dining room, saw "Nanny's" purse, picked it up and said:

"Is Nanny here?"

That is how much that purse was identified with Lucye.

Going through my sweet mother-in-law's purse was more difficult than I imagined it would be. She had all the typical things you and I would have in our purses:
  1. Face powder
  2. Lipstick
  3. Finger nail polish
  4. Finger nail file
  5. Hairbrush
  6. Toothbrush & toothpaste
  7. Ring of keys
  8. Wallet
  9. Handicapped Parking Sticker (okay, not typical for us!)

In the wallet:

  1. Driver's license
  2. Insurance cards
  3. Voter registration (Lucye was a good Democrat!)
  4. Social Security Card
  5. Homeland Grocery Store card
  6. Blank check for her checking account (you go, girl!)
  7. Coins, but no dollar bills.

Before I opened the purse, I asked my husband (her son) if he wanted to do this with me. "No." was the response.

I did, however, lay out a number of things from her wallet that he looked at and will be keeping.

I was surprised at how emotional this exercise was for me. I knew it would be emotional for The Husband, but had no idea how it would affect me.

It made me think:

"Who will clean out my purse when I'm gone?"

"What will they find?"

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post. I know about this as we did it with my Momma and Granny. Truly a deep experience.

    ReplyDelete