Monday, August 24, 2009

Family Treasures

The Husband and I went on a drive in the country Saturday, which we like to do pretty often.

We stopped at The Antique Depot in Skiatook and had great fun poking through the contents of all the booths.

It is very sad for me when I see family treasures at antique stores or flea markets. Photo albums, scrapbooks documenting vacations or other significant events, and other family mementos. The following two items really gave me pause.

Below is a large tray that was hand painted to commemorate the life of Glenda and Stuart. The story starts at the bottom of the tray with their births and ends at the top of the tray with a picture of their home. Significant milestones (school, wedding, etc.) are noted in the middle of the tray. It was marked $24.99.


This is a framed hand crocheted baby christening bonnet, with family pictures.
(Apologies for the quality of the photos, I was using my new phone and am obviously at the bottom of the learning curve!)

I know there must be many reasons why family treasures end up being sold off.

But, let me just say this to my nieces and nephews:

"If my photos and treasures* end up in an antique mall after my death, I. WILL. COME. BACK. AND. HAUNT. YOU!"

*I promise to have everything neatly organized for your home.

P.S. I may have to go back and buy Glenda and Stuart's tray. Even though I do not need it!

1 comment:

  1. That is a sad day. I know that some of my Grandma's stuff went that way but I had no options from my aunts. It was just done. I got a Bible and a dish.

    ReplyDelete