Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Two Types of Shorthand

I'm always on the lookout for unique, vintage books to resell in my booths. I found these Gregg Shorthand books recently at an estate sale. They sure did bring back memories of my shorthand class in high school.


Gregg shorthand uses symbols for letters and words. I can vividly remember trying to memorize all the symbols!


I wonder how quickly (if at all) this would come back to me?




At another estate sale, I found a Bowdon Shorthand manual. I have never heard of this type of shorthand, have you?


This book was published in Oklahoma City, just down the road from me in Tulsa.


Bowden shorthand uses the alphabet, instead of symbols.


I wonder if this method would be easier to learn than the Gregg method?



I googled "shorthand" and found that you can take classes on the Gregg method on line. One page states that journalists, students, administrative assistants and others still use shorthand. Do you think that is true in this technological age?

Did you take shorthand in school? If yes, did you use it in your career? Was it easy or hard for you?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, shorthand was one of my classes. Tried to teach myself in junior high from my mother's shorthand book, which I still have somewhere. I even taught myself how to type from her typing book, before I had classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't ever take shorthand in school. I'm at just the right age so that keyboarding was being introduced when I was little, and I took a class in high school too. I'm a very fast typist to this day, so I am thankful that I learned when I was young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, I found some college level typing books from the 1930's. I wonder how different they are from today's "keyboarding" classes!

      Delete
  3. The Gregg Shorthand book sold last week. I wonder if it was to someone who used to use shorthand or to someone who wants to learn it?

    ReplyDelete