Thursday, April 26, 2012

Road Trip 2012 - Day 8

Sunday, April 22 - Asheville, NC to Charleston, SC

We slept late again, not awakening until 8:45 a.m. We left the hotel at 10:15 a.m. with the odometer reading 36,069. We stopped for a fast food breakfast (which was not good) and filled the car with gas.

I thought it was a boring drive to Charleston, SC. It was treed on both sides of the highway, so there was no view of houses or towns as we passed through the countryside.

Here is our obligatory photo at the state welcome center.

We arrived in Charleston and checked into The Elliot House Inn at 3:30 p.m. The inn has an outstanding location, right in the heart of the historic district. Everything is within easy walking distance.

We took the opportunity to rest (nap!) because we were meeting an old friend of The Husband's for drinks. The Friend lives in the area and, in addition to recommending where we should stay, also made dinner reservations for us for the following two nights.

These guys had not seen each other in 35 years and just recently reconnected via e-mail. When they saw each other, it was as if no time had lapsed. They picked up where they left off with comfortable and enjoyable conversation.

The Friend and The Husband

The Friend took us on a stroll of the neighborhood, beginning with drinks at The Bar at Husk Restaurant. We loved that the bar is a freestanding building adjacent to the restaurant. The second floor is a cool cocktail lounge. The first floor is a standard bar.

After the drink, we took a walk "South of Broad" (as Charlestonians say). It was an amazing trek through blocks of historic, beautiful homes. Scattered amongst the homes are churches, many with small cemeteries full of ancient graves. The Friend shared tidbits of information about the neighborhoods, specific houses and the history of Charleston.

The turning point of our walk was when we reached The Battery. As we promenaded the seawall, we could see Fort Sumter in the distance. 

As we headed toward our inn, The Friend ducked into an alley and like magic we were having another drink at the bar at McCrady's Restaurant. With this drink, we each had a deviled egg as an appetizer.

They cost $1!
For a deviled egg!
Which was 1/2 of a whole egg!

Suddenly, we all realized it was late on a Sunday night. We hustled back to the area of our inn, only to find that the restaurant where The Husband and I had planned to have dinner was closed. Fortunately, The Bar at Husk Restaurant was still open and was happy to serve us a sandwich.

At that point, The Friend left us in the capable hands of Weaver, the bartender, and Darrel, the bar back. In addition, we met Jay. A nice young man who was in town for a conference and ended up at the bar for a cocktail.

After enjoying our split BBQ pork sandwich, we walked the long distance (50 yards?) to our B&B.

Our end of day odometer reading was 36,347.

We parked in a garage across from the B&B. It will be interesting to see if the car comes out while we are here, since this is such a walkable area.

No comments:

Post a Comment