Thursday, July 18, 2013

Rosacea Diagnosis

Over the past couple of years, my facial skin has been doing strange things.

Acne reappeared, red spider veins became visible and bright red flushing would occasionally appear on my chin and cheeks.

All of these issues have worsened in the last 6 months and I was frustrated since make-up was not covering the problems very well.

This issue was beginning to transport me back to the my teen years, when acne was the bane of my existence. I was one of those poor unfortunate teens who had horrible (and I mean horrible) acne on their face, their back and their arms. Yes...even the arms. 

I finally scheduled a dermatologist appointment to address this situation because it was stressing me out. Yesterday, I was diagnosed with Rosacea, which is a common (poorly understood) disorder of the facial skin.

Read all about Rosacea here. 

There are a number of things that can trigger a flare up and after reviewing the trigger list, I believe my triggers to be:
  • Menopause
  • Stress/anxiety
  • Sun
  • Overheating (And what is menopause, if not overheating?)
  • Red Wine (Not all the time.)
The doctor treated me yesterday by using a laser to zap the visible veins and then to broadly treat the red areas on my chin and cheeks. He also gave me a prescription cream to use daily beginning next week.

My face was very red immediately after the treatment, but the red had calmed down significantly by morning. And, best of all, most of the veins are not visible. Oh, happy day!

For those of you out there who enjoy beautiful, flawless skin that doesn't require you to wear make-up, please enjoy and appreciate that gift. I've never had that luxury and I'm a bit jealous of you, I must say!

How's your skin? Flawless? Not so flawless? Do you wear make-up? Or, do you not care?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment