Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Kindness of Strangers

The Husband and I were "out and about" in local restaurants frequently. (Frequently = a lot!)

Tonight, I went to dinner at one of our regular spots. Several employees came up to me and expressed their sympathy for my loss of The Husband.

The man I was sitting near couldn't help but overhear the conversations and eventually asked me how recent was the loss. When I told him 13 days, he was very sympathetic.

He told me he lost his first wife 35 years ago. He was very kind to share stories of how he worked through the stages of grief.

He said to me, "You have to walk every step of this road yourself. Everyone wants to help you, but ultimately it is up to you."

I was consoled by my conversation with him.

As he left with his wife (of 30 years), he told me he had paid for my dinner and drinks. I told him it was not necessary and his response was, "I know what you are going through."

I am thankful for the kindness of strangers.

1 comment:

  1. Those kindnesses give hope in your time of loss.

    ReplyDelete