Friday, June 26, 2015

The Husband is Home

Today has been stressful.

I slept late this morning. My cell phone rang at 9:30 am. It was the funeral home telling me The Husband's cremains were ready for pickup, as well as copies of his death certificate.

I brought everthing home and took the items upstairs to our office. I placed The Husband on a bookcase. I worked all afternoon reviewing various accounts/bills. This work is tedious, time consuming and emotionally draining. 

I had plans to meet up with good friends at a local restaurant. The time we spent together, the conversations about The Husband we had and the stories/photos we shared were just what I needed today, or so I thought.

I showed them the following picture of The Husband, which is the epitome of his love of the porch. The photo was taken several years ago. Notice the iPod in the Bose speaker dock, which means we were listening to his eclectic music catalog (4,000 songs). Also notice the cocktail glass next to the iPod. And, who could miss his head thrown back and his big laugh as he was conversing with our neighbors?


I returned home from being with our friends tonight and decided The Husband and I would have a cocktail on the porch, with music. See the iPod in the Bose speaker dock, the cocktail glass with Johnny Walker Red and water, as well as the box containing The Husband?


I sat there for a few moments, just the two of us with his favorite music and his favorite drink.

I started bawling.

I then asked the next door and across the street neighbors to join us, which they happily did. We laughed and reminisced about our numerous, informal porch parties over the years. The Powell house motto was, after all, "If we are on our porch, COME ON OVER!"

I'm thankful every day that I was lucky enough to be the friend of (and the wife of) The Husband.  

I am also thankful every day for all our friends and family that have helped both of us on this journey.

11 comments:

  1. Aww Cindy what a wonderful memory to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla. I'm lucky to have lots of great memories.

      Delete
  2. Nicely written - sometimes writing things down helps fill the silence -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing has really helped me this week. As long as it helps, I'll keep doing it.

      Delete
  3. Cindy, I am not religious, but I do believe he is with you and watching over you, giving you advice when you need it, a hug when you need it. Just listen. You'll find him in the days and years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are right, Donna. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  4. I that photo of him. What a perfect way to honor his memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenn. I love this picture of him also.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful way to share his memory and honor him! He is indeed with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neighbors and I ended up laughing on the porch, which would have made him happy.

      Delete