Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Be Careful Out There! It's Icy!


So much for leaving work early yesterday, to get home safely on the icy streets.

The washing machine repair man (another story) was parked in our driveway, so I parked across the street. I was almost across when I slipped and fell backwards. The back of my head hit the pavement and bounced.  

I lay in the middle of the street, yelling for help until a neighbor heard me. Soon, there were three neighbors around me. Two (I think) helped me up from the street and walked me back to the car, as one went to get The Husband.
  
I do not remember The Husband driving me to the hospital or the check-in process at the ER. We arrived at about 4pm (?) and I was not called back to an exam room until 7pm (?). One of the neighbors was smart enough to send an ice pack with me to the hospital. Thank goodness. I went through an entire box of tissue in the waiting room as I sobbed from the pain. I was taken for a head CT before being taken to the exam room.

Fortunately, the head CT did not show any signs of a brain bleed. I had a knot the size of my hand on the back of my head, my jaws hurt, my neck and shoulders hurt and I was dizzy, dizzy, dizzy.

We got home and one of the neighbors had shoveled part of our sloped drive and put down ice melt. So, so sweet.

I had bed spins last night. I hate bed spins. 

Swelling of the knot went down significantly over night, due to regular ice packs. My head is so tender and hurts to touch. I have just a slight headache, not too bad. Neck and shoulders hurt. Jaw really hurts when I eat. I think I knocked it out of alignment. Probably means a visit to the dentist and/or chiropractor in the future. 

I told The Husband I woke up in the middle of the night and all I could think of was the old Hee Haw song:

Gloom, despair and agony on me!
Deep dark depression, excessive misery!
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!
Gloom, despair and agony on meeeee! 

Dizzy, dizzy am I. The Husband won't let me walk anywhere by myself.

Between spraining my ankle last month, banging my head this month and The Husband not feeling well, I'm about to throw in the towel.  

Be careful out there!  It's icy!

6 comments:

  1. What a scary fall. Hope you recover completely soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bella. It was a scary fall. :-(

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh Cindy. So very scary. I had a similar fall in our garage about 10 years ago. Same visit to hospital, same bump and same jaw thing. Concusion and dislocated jaw that put itself back in place. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so mad at myself after this happened. Thank goodness my jaw does seem to have put itself back in place! Doctor's appointment on Tuesday to follow up on lingering neck/shoulder pain. No one allows me to walk on wet/slick pavement by myself now!

      Delete