Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Racism in Oklahoma

We went to visit a friend in the hospital tonight.

A family was walking ahead of us in the lobby with 6 children of various ages...well behaved, nicely dressed, laughing children. 

Another family was walking toward us. A not so well dressed family of father, mother, teen age daughter.

As the family walking toward us passed the family walking ahead of us, the man turned to the woman and said hatefully, "Well, we know what she's done at least six times."

The family ahead of us was black. The family walking toward us was white.

I was speechless.

The Husband said to me (sarcastically), "Racism doesn't exist in America today."

I am so angry with myself that I did not say something to "THAT MAN".


I've decided my response to situations like this (that are more frequent than you may think) will be:

"Judge not, lest you be judged." Matthew 7:1-3
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+7%3A1-3&version=KJV

Oklahoma Christians (or any Christians) can't argue with scripture, can they?

5 comments:

  1. Cindy, I have seen it too and walked away and/or said something. (Yelled was a better description). Having said that, I have also seen racism from black toward whites, ladies in a black church that wouldn't shake my daughter's hand offered innocently. Wanted to go back and preach to the choir. Racism is alive and well in the world. Humans aren't rational beings. Some people just don't know when to keep their mouths shut. I read the other day, someone said when the old guard dies off, so will racism. I doubt it. I have found as I've gotten older a form of racism or bigotry. So sad as we are really all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I don't disagree that there is racism from all sides. I've seen it also. And it never fails to be stupid.

      Wouldn't it be nice if we ALL would apply the Golden Rule?

      http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+7%3A12&version=ESV;KJV

      If you don't want to apply the Golden Rule in your life, be quiet. Do not speak. Judge not, lest you be judged.

      http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+7%3A1-3&version=KJV

      It's just so exhausting seeing/listening to people judging others. If you EVER see ME doing that, just SLAP me!

      Delete
  2. As one of 7 children, I heard this all the time growing up - nothing to do with race. But a rude thing to say, which I didn't understand until I was quite a bit older. These days it's harder to find big families to insult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beryl, Thank you for another perspective on what we witnessed. I immediately jumped to skin color as the issue and it could have been family size. I don't believe that to be true, but I did not stop the man who made the comment and question him.

      As I said to Donna, it is exhausting to see/listen to people judging others. I try very hard not to do that, but I know I am guilty many times.

      I am known to quote Rodney King, the black man beaten by LA Police in 1991. The acquittal of the police officers sparked riots. Rodney's request during the riots was, "Can't we all get along?"

      What a great question.

      Can't we all get along?

      Delete
  3. And for all those people who know me well and are amazed that I am speaking of race and scripture on my blog, so am I.

    There are times when a person is COMPELLED to speak out.

    This was one of those times.

    ReplyDelete