Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Roast Story


We fed my Mom a roast dinner tonight. There's a long, involved story about the roast:

  • We started cooking it last Sunday.
  • There was a large piece of meat in an inappropriately sized cast iron skillet, with lid. (Heavy!)
  • As the roast cooked, juice was created.
  • As the juice expanded, it started dripping out of the pan.
  • As it dripped out of the pan in the hot oven, it began to smoke.
  • As it began to smoke, I began to panic.
  • As I began to panic, I tried to lift the pan out of the oven.
  • As my recently arthritc thumbs balked at the weight of the cast iron skillet and lid, I was alarmed.
  • As I was alarmed, I dailed The Husband's cell phone and said, "I need your help!"
  • The Husband quickly drove home and found me with all the kitchen windows open and the vent-a-hood on.
  • I had figured out that taking the cast iron lid off the cast iron skillet would allow me to lift the skillet out of the oven. 
  • I turned the oven off.
  • We allowed the roast and fixin's to cool, and then put them in the fridge.
  • The Husband cleaned the oven the next day. (Bonus for me!)
  • The following day, The Husband finished cooking the roast.
  • That evening, The Husband and I had the roast for dinner.  It was delicious.
  • The Husband took the "fixin's" to The Mother the next day.
  • I fixed the "fixin's" for her dinner tonight.
  • She loved it!

Hey...and guess what?  The smoke alarm never went off!

No comments:

Post a Comment