Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day and Gooey Butter Cake

Hi. How was your holiday weekend? Ours was great. We were invited to cook outs on both Sunday and Monday. My contribution on both days was Mom's Macaroni Salad.

A few years ago, my sister-in-law started making Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake. My niece had a piece at a family function and the rest is history. I believe the quote from the niece was, "I want to marry this cake, I love it so much!"

The cake was made today:



A happy niece!


Funny thing, when I googled "gooey butter cake" to find the recipe I found a Wikipedia page about the history of the cake. Very interesting!

The Sister also wanted to make Mom's Banana Pudding. She tricked Mom into standing and stirring it for her. (That's the B-i-L in the background.)


Finished product. The individual servings of pudding without the bananas or the wafers are for me and the little niece. We are picky.


This is a long standing family favorite.

Mom's Banana Pudding

1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
dash salt
3 eggs
2 cups cold milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
Nilla Wafers
4 or 5 bananas sliced

Mix sugar, flour and salt in a cast iron skillet. Blend in 3 eggs and milk. Cook, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.

Layer custard, bananas, Nilla wafers on the bottom of a 1 1/2 quart dish. Repeat layers twice.

Cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with Nilla Wafers just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment