Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Managing The Basement

I spent yesterday morning working in our nine zone basement. Zones are:

1) Laundry
2) Wrapping Station
3) Food & Household Goods Storage
4) Yard Sale Storage
5) Seasonal/Holiday Decoration Storage
6) Cindy's Cupboard Storage
7) The Husband's Workbench/Small Tool Storage
8) Family File Storage
9) Remainder of The Husband's Mother's belongings (primarily photos & paperwork).

Yes, I'm that person who has nine zones in the basement. Don't you?

Given that we live in Oklahoma, I am grateful that we have a basement. Most Oklahoma homes do not have them, even though we live right smack dab in the middle of tornado country. Why? Who knows. But, I'm happy our house has one!

Since opening Cindy's Cupboard, I have purchased a number of holiday decorations at estate and garage sales -- St. Patrick's Day, Easter, July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have not placed out of season holiday decorations in Cindy's Cupboard, but brought them home to the basement.

I decided that I will store newly purchased decorations near my existing decorations during the year. Approximately 3 months prior to the holiday, I will evaluate the entire collection to determine what I will keep for home use and what I will put in the Cupboard for sale 2 months prior to the holiday.

Yesterday's effort was to ensure all the holiday items were grouped together and stored with the existing decorations. Come September 1st, I'll be able to "pull the trigger" on Halloween decorations.

I love it when my basement is organized!

How do you manage your holiday decorations?

1 comment:

  1. We have a basement too ... and people are shocked that we have one .. in Oklahoma. It's great for storage (and the occasional tornado).

    ReplyDelete